5 Ways to Show Loved Ones You Care this Holiday Season
This is usually the time of year where we invite loved ones into our lake homes for a roaring fire, great food, and festive beverages (cue the brandy and eggnog). We reminisce about the events of the year gone by and laugh until it hurts. We play silly games (hello, holiday charades), sing carols around the baby grand piano, and make new memories together.
But not this year…
It is no secret that 2020 has been anything but conventional. From virtual school to working from home, shopping almost solely online, halting all activities, and cancelling vacations, it is easy to focus on all of the things that we missed out on this year.
But what about all of the good that has come from this year?!
The quiet evenings in with your spouse, filled with lively conversation and a glass of the best wine. The wide-open calendar that afforded you time to finally sit down by the lakeshore and read a page-turner this summer. The slower pace of life that let you truly live in the moment all year long.
You see, when you look at things that way, we do have so much to be thankful for this year. Our health. Our homes. Our free time. Our memories. And our loved ones.
Sure, we may not be gathering or hosting this year, but that isn’t the only way to show friends and family that we care. Whether near or far, here are 5 simple ways to express your love for others and gratitude for their place in your life this holiday season…
Idea #1: Send a Gift
During this season of giving, why not send something that reminds your loved ones of all the special times you’ve shared at the lake around the holidays. A gift that evokes memories. One that makes them feel they are part of your holiday celebration this year, even if they are hundreds of miles away.
A few local ideas…
- A holiday-scented candle from Cranberry Square Farm Market. Whether you opt for the intoxicating scent of pine or the lively notes of a cranberry blend, when your loved one lights this candle, they’ll be instantly transported to the Northwoods, feeling close to you in spirit.
- A gift certificate for a massage or mani/pedi at The Spa to be redeemed the next time your loved ones come to visit, they are sure to feel celebrated and cherished knowing that some well-deserved pampering is on the horizon.
- A cozy blanket or throw pillow from our team at Lakeside Living in a lake life or woodland pattern. When your friends and family wrap themselves in the warmth of your gift, they’ll feel your loving embrace, even when you’re not physically together.
Idea #2: Mail a Card
Even better than a gift to show your loved ones how much you care? Spelling it out for them in a handwritten letter. Although some might view this as old fashioned, we think that the best expression of your love is taking the time to put pen to paper. Tell friends and family just how much they mean to you and how much you miss their company this year.
If you’re looking for some unique holiday cards, pick up a set from Whimsies and fill them with your own sentiments for a joyful holiday season.
Idea #3: Video Chat
Nothing will ever replace giving your grandchildren a giant hug as they walk through the front door of your home, but you can still share in their joy this holiday season with a family video chat.
Some creative ideas…
- Exchange family recipes ahead of time so that everyone can make some of the same special dishes. Then, join a group Zoom call (have you heard of Zoom yet??) while you each eat your big holiday feast. It will be nearly as good as if you were all around the same table.
- Have your children and grandchildren Facetime you (the built-in iPhone video app) while they open their gifts so that you can experience the smiles on their faces when they look inside the box and see that toy they couldn’t live without.
- Want to have some extra fun together from a distance? Gift your loved ones a “Game Night In” that you can all enjoy together. Laughter…check! Fun…check! Quality time…check! We think this one is well worth the investment.
Idea #4: Order a Meal
Since you can’t gather for dinner together this December, why not gift your nearby friends and family with a delicious meal from a local restaurant? Order takeout, pick it up, leave it on your loved ones’ doorstep (along with a note from you, of course), and give them a call so they know to look outside.
It is like ding-dong-ditch, but so much better! Your gift of hospitality at a distance will speak volumes during this time of year where we are so busy baking that the last thing we want to do is make a full-blown meal.
Some great local ideas…
- Aberdeen Restaurant & Bar isn’t just well-known because of their waterfront dining…their casual Northwoods fare is like your favorite Wisconsin supper club…only better! You can’t go wrong with their carry-out menu.
- Aurora Borealis, specializing in contemporary, high-quality American cuisine, is sure to be a hit as well. On Friday nights, they even offer a take-out fish fry. And the best part?! You can get bottles of wine and 6-packs of beer to go. Talk about a celebration!
- Would you rather wait until you can dine together? Then how about a gift certificate to Little Bohemia Lodge…a delicious dinner at this establishment that has been open and adored for almost a century is well worth the wait!
- Or maybe a simple bottle of wine and a couple of fancy cheeses is more your loved one’s style? If so, visit The Wine Barn to select a varietal and some accompanying charcuterie staples that are sure to set the mood for a festive holiday evening.
Idea #5: Buy Flowers
One final way to show your family and friends you’re thinking of them this year? A beautiful, seasonal flower arrangement from Village Market Floral or Lori’s Flower Cottage.
Whether they choose to put it in the kitchen to enjoy while they prepare their big holiday meal, or it is the dining table centerpiece that steals the show, your loved ones will grin from ear to ear each time they glance at that stunning, festive bouquet, hand-selected by YOU!
Of course we’d all prefer a traditional holiday season…full of big gatherings, an overabundance of sweets, and time spent in person with those we hold most dear. But since that isn’t in the cards this year, it is up to us to make this season extra special.
With a little creative planning, we can make this December one to remember for our family and friends. We guarantee your thoughtfulness will mean even more during this unpredictable time. So what are you waiting for?!
If you’re interested in shopping for that perfect gift in our store, give us a call to make a private appointment to visit our showroom. Or if you’d rather browse at a distance, we would be glad to help you shop virtually through pictures and then have your packages ready for curbside pick-up.
No matter what, we’d be thrilled to help you select an item that your loved ones will cherish for years to come.
Until next month,
The Lakeside Living Team